Monday, February 14, 2011

Quick Images

I tried the Quick Images exercise today in my (fourth-grade) main placement and was surprised at how successful it was. I launched our geometry unit today, and after last Wednesday's class, I thought such an activity might mix up our warm-up routine and introduce a new topic at the same time. (Our warm-up routine, after students put their stuff away, is typically a review worksheet related to whatever math topic we covered the day before). Allison was kind enough to loan me a book in which three geometric designs are provided for a Quick Images exercise.

The first image is a square attached to four triangles (the sides of the square form the base of each triangle), so it looks like a four-pointed star; the second is a rectangle divided into four smaller rectangles; the third is a parallelogram divided into four triangles. I was prepared to move on after two images if the kids weren't into it, but instead, they LOVED it. It may have been due partly to the sheer novelty of the warm-up, but the kids were completely engaged with the drawing and the brief discussion of shapes--what they drew first, what they noticed, etc. Naturally, some kids pointed out aspects of the image I hadn't noticed (the letter "H" inside the rectangle; the "W" formed by the triangles inside the parallelogram), and they were eager to see each subsequent image. The whole experience left me thinking I should do this two or three more times, with different images, before my placement is up. It was clearly a hit.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading more about this Kim! It IS amazing how people see these images so differently, isn't it?! Just like you, as I record peoples ideas, I find myself thinking, "Wow" and "really-- I didn't see that at all!" This is a good reminder in so many ways as we enact inquiry oriented approaches to learning mathematics-- it seems to get right to the heart of the idea that people naturally see and solving problems in different ways. And an opportunity to discuss our own thinking and hear about other peoples thinking is rich for developing a conceptual understanding of he mathematics we're learning. I'm going to bring in a second book in the series you pulled from and maybe this spring you can try-on a 3D quick image!

    ReplyDelete