This week's class shed new light on the strategy of sequencing. When I first read the "Orchestrating Discussions" article a few weeks back, I was so hung up on that teacher's extensive planning that I found the concept somewhat overwhelming. However, when we did the fraction activity, in which we worked in pairs or groups to solve a problem and make a poster, Allison casually visited each table, jotted some notes and then called us to present in a deliberate order. Somehow, seeing it in action made the process appear less cumbersome than the detailed, step-by-step article made it seem (to me, anyway). And as I sat there watching people present, it hit me that this was a strategy I could use in other disciplines (duh).
So afterward, as I was wrapping up my inquiry lesson for Jean's class (a fourth-grade social studies/writing/mapmaking lesson on Lewis and Clark), I saw a perfect spot and logical reason for sequencing my students' presentations. I revised the "explain" phase of the lesson to accommodate it, and it now seems better (and, more importantly, more educational). And it wasn't that hard to figure out. Of course, that may be because it wasn't a math lesson! I am considering sequencing my lesson in my eighth-grade class on Monday (on finding credible sources while researching), but I realize that not every lesson will lend itself to that process. In any case, I have a greater appreciation for sequencing.
No comments:
Post a Comment