Last Wednesday's class was a reminder of how much geometry I've chosen to forget: I gleefully left proofs behind in ninth grade. The game in which we identified mug shots of shapes was slow going, at least for me, so when I managed to get most of the quiz on the quadrilateral family right, I was amazed. What stuck with me more, however, was the tiered geometry knowledge with which Robin presented us: The first level is a basic ability to identify shapes, the second is the ability to explain why it's that shape, and the third is the ability to contrast it with another shape. I wish I could remember if she said that most people, or simply most teachers, are in that third level, which approximates a fifth-grade understanding of geometry.
How do other math topics stack up, and why is geometry so paralyzing? (I'm clearly not the only one.) The exercise certainly showed me how far from comfortable I am, and I went out of my way to avoid a geometry-themed storybook for the literacy lesson. Occasionally, Shoreline Community College (and presumably, other community colleges) will offer a Math for Elementary Educators II: Geometry. I'm not in a position to take it now, but I might down the road. Or if anyone can recommend a helpful, nonthreatening text for teachers, I'd like to know about it. If I end up getting a job in elementary school, I'll need something.
I too was paralyzed by geometry and proofs; they were the last thing in the world I ever wanted to do. A few quarters ago I was enrolled in one of the classes you discussed, math for elementary school teachers: Geometry. I dreaded it from the day I started it. I felt even more stupid when I realized high school running start students surrounded me. Despite this, as the quarter continued on my heart began to soften for geometry. One aspect of the class I appreciated as I look back was how the professor used the class to answer class questions. What I mean is that he would rarely answer nightly homework questions himself, instead he would have other class members answer the question on the board for the whole class. Plus, if you answered the question you would get extra credit! Regardless, this was very helpful. I always appreciated how a peer explained the problem. The professor always explained it in a very "math degree" way and my peers actually spoke my language.
ReplyDeleteNot only was I challenged over and over to provide proofs, I was witnessing a few excellent ways to teach math. As much as I dreaded this class then, I would recommend it now. It was a three quarter class. I only took one quarter, the one that focused on geometry. When we discussed geometry in our math class a few weeks ago I felt so prepared and engaged because of my recent experience. I would recommend it if you ever find the time. I took the class at Edmonds Community College and I know they have an online version for this class.