Saturday, November 6, 2010

Bean counting, fraction war, and other new tricks for an old dog

I enjoyed all three activities in class this week--I would use fraction war, in particular, as an activity for near the end of the period, when it's time to experiment with the lesson. If I had fun, then I would imagine kids might like it, too. I had done a (simpler) version of the manipulatives activity in my Math for Elementary Education class last year; for that, I had to buy my own little manipulatives kit, and I'm glad I did: Now my 7-year-old asks to play with it, and we've "played" by grouping unit blocks and longs (tens). See below:



But the integer activity was an eye-opener for me--and it took me a while to get there. As I say with so many math lessons we've encountered this fall, I don't remember learning this way when I was in school. I've never had a problem with integer rules--I'm obedient math student through and through--but I hadn't seen (or certainly don't recall) a demonstration of operations of positive and negative numbers. I still have to think deliberately about why, when subtracting a larger negative number, we would pair positive and negative numbers to create zero, but I do grasp it.

We have a few classes to go, and I look forward to more activities that test my rote knowledge. Looking at the intermediate and middle school standards, I would love to see more on statistics--we haven't done probability yet, have we? And slope--which we addressed a little bit in this last class--and, dare I say it, geometry. The Pythagorean Theorem, area formulas and angle measurements are, naturally, the only thing I liked about geometry--because they involve plugging in numbers. Don't ask me why anything works the way it does.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Would you say you are a concrete or abstract mathematical thinker?

    I ask this because you seem to exhibit signs of both the practical and theoretical: "I enjoyed all three activities in class this week" and "The Pythagorean Theorem, area formulas and angle measurements are, naturally, the only thing I liked about geometry--because they involve plugging in numbers."

    In my blog, I wrote about how difficult it is for me to utilize concrete math manipulatives because I'm used to thinking abstractly. What is your method for switching between the practical and the theoretical math concepts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You say this as if I have a method!

    I liked the activities because they allowed me to see traditional math in new ways. What I didn't say, however, is that I'm far more comfortable with basic formulas. I'm absolutely a concrete thinker. I wouldn't normally choose manipulatives or other, similar approaches because I just don't think that way.

    I love formulas. I do not love what-ifs or drawing pictures. But for the sake of my future as a teacher, I'm trying!

    ReplyDelete