Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A reflection on reflections

My post from today's math class isn't entirely math-related. To me, the most insightful part of the session stemmed from a question Janet asked: How do we teach these various approaches we're learning about, when so much of our daily work will be tied to specific curriculum and programs? I'm not sure the in-class answer addressed the question precisely, but it did encapsulate something else for me: the importance of reflection.

We have been reflecting all over the place this quarter and really, for the past year in this program. Everything seems to come with a reflection attached. And intellectually, I appreciate why. But I also appreciated Robin's comments about the practical value of stopping to consider how we teach and what we might improve upon as a result. So far, the reflecting process has been tied to assignments, and some, in my opinion, lend themselves more naturally to reflection than others. But when Robin talked about classroom presence, and about using the reflection process in a very real way--jotting notes during a lesson, keeping tabs on what  strategy is working for whom--I gained a new perspective on what "reflecting" can be. I am often reluctant to journal, or reflect, or whatever, because I think I'm pretty self-aware and can recollect my feelings about personal and professional experiences; I write something down only if I have to but wouldn't normally do so. The conversation today gave me a practical lens through which to view the process of reflecting. The video review we have to do for Jean's class is one such practical use. I've watched my video once and will do so again before I finish writing my paper on it, but I see the value of it and may go back to my hard-copy lesson plan and make a note of some things, because I do think I could use that lesson again.

The short activity that preceded today's discussion--the table/graph/equation worksheet on functions--was a worthwhile example of how to use reflection to tailor teaching methods. What seems overwhelming, at least at this point in my development as a teacher, is the notion that I would need to adapt lessons in a variety of ways. But one thing at a time. Reflecting is just the thinking. Later comes the doing.

1 comment:

  1. This makes me feel that my job has been totally worth it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete